||Merchant Taylor 1||
(Any abbreviated sources are listed in full below the notes.)1 — Merchant Taylor: LBR (LMA MS: COL/AD/01/017) fo. 24v. A John York is admitted to the Merchant Taylors in 1545-46 (Merchant Taylors' GL MS 34048/4 fo. 3r [new MS #: CLC/L/MD/D/003/MS34048/004]).
GL MS: Manuscript at the Guildhall Library, London.
LB: Letter Book. Manuscript series (from A onward) at the London Metropolitan Archives (LMA).
LMA MS: Manuscript at the London Metropolitan Archives, London.
Grocers were originally called Pepperers; the company appears to have emerged as Grocers in 1372; and the Merchant Taylors were until 6 January 1503 the Tailors and Linen Armourers. For both companies the original name is used until the year of the change, and then the new name, regardless of whether the sources consulted use the old or the new designation. The Fishmongers and the Stockfishmongers were originally different companies which, after one union which did not succeed, were finally united on a permanent basis in 1536. The two different names are here reproduced until 1536, from which year only the Fishmonger designation is used, regardless of the readings of the sources. (See Companies / Occupations, on the site menu, for reference sources.)