|Year||Name||Office||Company / Occupation|
||Sheriff||Armourers and Brasiers|
||Sheriff (chosen by Mayor )||Armourers and Brasiers 2|
||Sheriff||Armourers and Brasiers 3|
(Any abbreviated sources are listed in full below the notes.)1 — For Read's first name see LBI (LMA MS: COL/AD/01/009) fo. 203v and also LBF (LMA MS: COL/AD/01/006) fo. 234r; Stow/K II.171 lists H. Read.
2 — Armourer: see LBI (LMA MS: COL/AD/01/009) fo. 203v and also LBF (LMA MS: COL/AD/01/006) fo. 234r.
3 — He was translated to the Grocers in 1503 (Beaven II.20).
Beaven: Alfred B. Beaven, The Aldermen of the City of London, 2 vols. London: Corporation of London, 1908-13.
LB: Letter Book. Manuscript series (from A onward) at the London Metropolitan Archives (LMA).
LMA MS: Manuscript at the London Metropolitan Archives, London.
Stow/K: John Stow, A Survey of London, ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1908.
Grocers were originally called Pepperers; the company appears to have emerged as Grocers in 1372; and the Merchant Taylors were until 6 January 1503 the Tailors and Linen Armourers. For both companies the original name is used until the year of the change, and then the new name, regardless of whether the sources consulted use the old or the new designation. The Fishmongers and the Stockfishmongers were originally different companies which, after one union which did not succeed, were finally united on a permanent basis in 1536. The two different names are here reproduced until 1536, from which year only the Fishmonger designation is used, regardless of the readings of the sources. (See Companies / Occupations, on the site menu, for reference sources.)