Detailed Results for Hugh Basing
Notes About Company Names
Grocers were originally called Pepperers; the company appears to have emerged as Grocers in 1372; and the Merchant Taylors were until 6 January 1503 the Tailors and Linen Armourers. For both companies the original name is used until the year of the change, and then the new name, regardless of whether the sources consulted use the old or the new designation. The Fishmongers and the Stockfishmongers were originally different companies which, after one union which did not succeed, were finally united on a permanent basis in 1536. The two different names are here reproduced until 1536, from which year only the Fishmonger designation is used, regardless of the readings of the sources. The Barbers and the Surgeons, two separate companies, were combined from 1540 to 1745; the combined name Barbers and Surgeons is accordingly used here for those years. The Armourers in 1708 became the Armourers and Brasiers, and the longer name is used here from 1708 on; but otherwise companies which through mergers and additions lengthened their original names are cited throughout by their original names only, for ease of database company searches. (For reference sources for the dates above, see Companies / Occupations on the site menu bar.) Note that a search for, e.g., all mayors and sheriffs from a company with a database name change has to be made separately for each company name.
Asterisks After Names
An asterisk after a name indicates an individual who is included as an alderman in A. B. Beaven's or John Chalstrey's reference volumes on London aldermen. From 1190--91 to 1271--72, parentheses around the asterisk indicate an individual who is in Beaven's volumes as an alderman but is not included in John McEwan's "The Aldermen of London, c.1200--80: Alfred Beaven Revisited." (See Sources, on the site menu bar, for these works.) In four cases, 1272--80, no parenthesis are supplied where Beaven indicates aldermanic status and McEwan does not; these special cases are footnoted.